TOPLINE BOB XL
“an absolute sonic delight – across different musical genres – with fast and nimble transient attacks and high resolution, remarkable coherence, texture and dimension.”
-Julie Mullins, The absolute Sound
The basic idea was to build a smooth sounding speaker with excellent impulse response.
A horn gives a perfect adaption of the diaphragm movement to the air which then transports the sound.
We have been choosing this concept for the mid and high frequencies as it significantly helps getting accurate low level information.
The idea was not to increase the efficiency, as doing this often tends to result in a clear but somewhat thin and harsh sound.
Also we did not use compression drivers for exactly the same reason, but spend a lot of effort into a perfect matching between the horns and the drivers.
Width Front: 390mm
Width Rear: 560mm
Depth with horn: 565mm
Diameter horn: 750mm
CUSTOM HORN COLOR –
ALL RAL COLORS
For the lower frequencies we decide to use an open baffle, as this concept perfectly loads the speakers at both sides in a balanced way.
We also choose to go for speakers with a big surface: Decreasing the con area surface needs to be compensated by the excursion which is much less linear.
Having a large cone area means a significantly reduced cone displacement, so that the cones always move in their linear region, creating much lower distortions.
In the lower midrange five 10” speakers with a surface of totally 320 square inches which are treated with a special carbon composite are doing their job.
The bass is reproduced by 10 pieces of carbon composite treated12” speakers, which provide a surface of more than 1500 square inches.
Six of the bass speakers are mounted on each side of the housing, which gives an excellent impulse compensation and very low resonances in the housing.
Each speaker is powered by 3000 Watts in the bass section, and controlled by a DSP to perfectly adapt the bass response to the room.
The rest of the speakers works passive, so that you may use your favorite electronics from 40Hz upwards without the need to drive current demanding bass speakers.
Only the best components are used in the crossover, and we did not only care for an excellent frequency response, but also a linear phase and a perfect transient response.
Perfect technique for us is an absolutely essential aspect.
But we believe creating devices which finally sound good need more.
For us this is an art, like building a master violin, where good skills are essential but not sufficient.
- Open baffle for the non-horn loaded speakers achieves a perfect impulse response, as the speakers are not caged in a box.
- Big diaphragm surface (> 4m² for the XL subwoofers) so that the displacement of the diaphragms is always small and in the linear region.
- Horns for the higher frequencies excellently adopt the small displacement of the diaphragms to the air.
- The radiating characteristics of the bass is that way that they will not stimulate the room resonances.
- We use a line array for the deep mid frequencies, to achieve the same dispersion characteristics as the one from the horns.
- All speaker diaphragms are treated with carbon composite for a coherent sonic character form the deepest bass till the highest audible frequencies.
- Carefully selected drivers so that a very simple crossover with finest quality components may be used.
- To achieve the best possible quality, critical inductors and capacitors are made in house by SteinMusic in cooperation with Mundorf.
- All interior cable are specially designed for their given purpose and precisely made by SteinMusic in Germany.
- In house made terminals for perfect connections.
- The active integrated subwoofers make the speakers easy to drive with amps from 30 watts onwards.
The result is no typical speaker sound, but lots of music.
TOP LINE BOB XL SUBWOOFER
More than 2m², which are 22ft², effective membrane area in one speaker, means 4m² for the pair.
17Hz with 0 dB decrease in volume without any frequency linearization by the integrated DSP.
Per side 8 pieces of special 18” woofers.
Open baffle with DSP controlled 3000 Watts per side for uncompressed, deep, natural bass.
Colorful, differentiated clear bass down till the lowest octave gives the higher frequencies a much better impression of really being there.
Width Front: 390mm
Width Rear: 560mm